A Guest Teacher Workshop with 'Dr Yogi', Andrew McGonigle
For yoga teachers, yoga teacher trainees and yoga practitioners with at least a one year consistent practice.
If you would like to learn more about the human body, go deeper in your yoga practice and develop alignment cues that are accurate and inclusive, then this full-day workshop with medically trained international yoga and anatomy teacher, Andrew McGonigle, is for you.
There will be lots of group and experiential work and a strong focus on using anatomy and physiology to make our asana practices as inclusive as possible.
After originally training to become a doctor, Andrew, also known as Dr Yogi, moved away from western medicine to pursue a career as a yoga teacher, massage therapist and anatomy teacher. Andrew has been practicing yoga and meditation for over 13 years and teaching strong, grounding, alignment based classes since 2009.
Andrew combines all of his skills to teach anatomy and physiology on Yoga Teacher Training courses across London and internationally. He contributes monthly to Om Yoga & Lifestyle Magazine with his anatomy feature 360° Yoga. His teachers include Hamish Henry, Paul Dallaghan, Eileen Gauthier, Kristin Campbell and Anna Ashby. For more information visit: www.doctor-yogi.com
In the morning session we will look at an overview of anatomy applied to practicing and teaching yoga and in the afternoon session we will explore the lower limbs in detail.
Areas covered throughout the day include:
• An introduction to muscle looking at its structure and function and how we can apply the knowledge of stretch reflexes to deepen our practice
• The structure and function of bone and joints looking at why alignment is important and what limits our movement
• How a knowledge of fascia can impact our movement on and off the mat
• Anatomical language and how this can help us to remember the names of some of our muscles
• An exploration of our feet and ankles looking at their structure and function and how we can apply this knowledge on and off the mat
• Why our knee joints may be vulnerable to injury and how to support them
• A detailed look at the hip joints focusing on what makes each of us so unique
A detailed manual will be included to take home. There will be an hour's break for lunch from 12.30pm-1.30pm.
This immersion counts towards CPD requirements for Yoga Alliance US members (6 contact hours).
"The workshops with Andrew were fantastic. I really got so much from them. My own practice and teaching has become so much more informed." Kylie P
"For anyone practising or teaching yoga who is keen to increase their practical understanding of anatomy within yoga I can't recommend Andrew's training enough. Really accessible, inspiring and enjoyable." Anna T
Cost: £65 (refreshments included, please bring light lunch with you)